Friday, January 24, 2014

Birthday

My brother Joe had his 21st birthday yesterday. I cant believe it. Where does the time go? Not only do I think about that, but I also think about what the heck I did with all that time haha. It is crazy how time just keeps flying by whether we want it to or not. It is definitely bittersweet. I am glad we were able to go out to dinner with Joe to celebrate along with other family. We had a great time.

For my dessert last night, I decided to make my own chocolate bar. I only had two squares of baking dark chocolate left so I decided to make something with it. Raw dark chocolate is way too bitter for me. I needed to sweeten it.

Nutty 'N Salty Dark Chocolate
Ingredients:
Raw dark chocolate bar (desired amount: 2 squares made 1 bar)
Honey
Walnuts (or any other kind of nut)
Sea Salt

Directions:
1. Have a place prepared to pour the chocolate when it is ready. I used a cereal bowl and placed parchment paper inside. I was only making one. I suggest using a cupcake pan if you plan to make multiple and just place parchment paper into each hole. 
2. Place desired amount of walnuts onto parchment paper. Spreading them out evenly. 
3. Pour some water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Place a bowl (i used a glass mixing bowl) on top of the sauce pan so it is sitting inside of it. The water should not be touching the bowl.
4. Place dark chocolate squares in the glass bowl. The heat from the boiling water beneath it will cause the chocolate to melt. Stir the chocolate consistently until fully melted. 
5. At this time, turn down the heat of the stove and start adding in your desired amount of honey. I was very generous with it. Mix well and then taste test until it is just right for you. (Next time I will do exact measurements to share with you.)
6. Pour the chocolate into each hole of parchment paper, right over the walnuts. If you want to add more walnuts to the top of the chocolate, do so at this time. 
7. Sprinkle with Sea salt. I like to be generous with it. 
8. Place in the freezer until they harden.



I loved every bite!! :D

**Keep in mind that dark chocolate is something I eat very moderately. It is in the grey areas for being SCD legal. Please be cautious with your body when introducing dark chocolate. 
Happy Friday!

No comments: