Thursday, August 15, 2013

SCD is a Learning Process. Legal Fast Food

So following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet has definitely been a learning process for me. For a while, I couldn't figure out why I was still getting symptoms when I was eating everything correctly; so I thought. There are so many details when it comes to the SCD Diet and on top of that, I can't have any of the dairy options either. The dairy and the grains I don't get confused with but it is the smaller details like oils and starches that I have had a harder time understanding. I have gotten to the point that I feel that I know what it was that I was eating that I shouldn't have been and why.

Here is a list of the things I was eating that I didn't know were ILLEGAL for me:

Chipotle- they cook almost everything (except their lettuce, guacamole, tomato salsa and carnitas) with a soybean oil or rice bran oil. Both those oils are illegal. Such a bummer!! I don't think it is worth it for me to buy a salad there if all i can have is lettuce carnitas and guac. I might as well make something at home haha so I no longer eat there.

Trail Mix- I didn't realize that I needed to buy RAW trail mix. I guess there is a starch that gets put on the nuts if you don't buy them raw. I buy raw now haha but seriously something that small just drives me nuts. I wish I had known before.

Coconut Sugar- I haven't used this a ton but I have made a couple recipes with it and I think it would explain a few of my sick episodes. Such a bummer that I can't use it. Apparently it is a lot like maple syrup which is a definite no-no. So I will need to just stick to honey as my sweetener.

Chestnut flour- I have only used this once but it would explain some symptoms cause I used it with the coconut sugar. I will need to dump that recipe down the drain.

Balsamic Vinegar- I was using bottled balsamic vinegar from the store to marinade chicken and to put on my salad. Good thing I finally chose to look at the label and learned that there are a few extra ingredients in there that I figured I shouldnt be consuming. I looked it up and sure enough it was illegal unless I make it myself. Not sure if I will ever get around to that. For now, I will stick to just oil and vinegar for my salad dressing.

Pinto Beans- I learned that these are not a good option for me. I would choose them if black beans were not an option. Next time, I will just have to go beanless ha

Soy Free Earth Balance Butter- I was using earth balance because it is dairy free. I chose the soy free option that they have. The only option for me to stay safe is to use coconut oil for butter. Ghee may be too much of a risk being that I can't have dairy.

Unsweetened Original Almond Milk- I was buying the Silk brand but it had other added ingredients in it. I have now found the better option. Whole Foods sells almond milk that is solely almonds and water. No other added ingredients!

Dark Chocolate- as of now, I have stopped eating raw dark chocolate. I may try to add it into my diet later but I definitely feel like I have eaten too much of it to soon. It is not SCD legal but every body is different. I may give it another try in moderation in the future.

This is all I can think of right now. Hopefully I don't end up adding to this list haha


Legal fast food that I have come across:

Freebirds- this is another mexican place similar to Chipotle. I have found that so far that it is legal for me to get a chicken salad there with black beans, onion/peppers, tomato salsa, and guac. I also use their awesome hot sauce. Please correct me if I am wrong!!! haha I ask so many questions when I go in there about what they cook with and I feel like sometimes, they don't take me seriously enough and leave out certain ingredients :-/ hopefully I don't find out that what I get there is SCD illegal as well. I will continue to research.

Jamba Juice- I order the Orange Carrot Karma smoothie using fresh squeezed orange juice. This is my favorite drink ever. I haven't really explored any other options there other than that smoothie and their fresh squeezed juices. Let me know if there are any other smoothies there that can be made SCD legal. I would love to give them a try.

Lara Bars- This is my new favorite snack to take with me on trips or just if I know I will be away from home for a few hours. I only buy the kinds without chocolate or concentrate. My favorites are Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Cashew Cookie, Peanut butter cookie, Carrot Cake, Coconut Cream Pie, and Peanut butter and Jelly. I tried the Banana bread one but for some reason, the flavor just seems a little off to me. Almost like its toxic/chemical like. I might be the only one who feels that way haha

There are also Kit's Organic Clif Bars. Their Peanut Butter, Cashew, and Berry Almond bars are SCD legal too. I don't buy them as often though because they are more expensive.

Please give me feedback if you know of other SCD legal places/quick food or let me know if something I listed does not meet SCD standards. I am still learning :)


6 comments:

Imisssweets said...

Thanks for this. This helped me for Chipotle. Other places I read had scders ordering the chicken or steak. I guess they didn't know a out the bran oil. I'll stick with the carnitas. Have you gotten any more scd restaurants to go or what to order? I'm on the SCD diet now for ulcerative colitis.

Clayton + Melanie said...

I never saw this comment until now. I really apologize! Yes, I have figured out a few other places. I have found that Jacks Urban eats is pretty great. I do a build your own salad and will choose their chicken that is clean with just olive oil and herbs. I use olive oil and lemon wedges for my dressing with some salt and pepper. I no longer eat at in N out. I just find it too risky. The mustard they have has sugar in it as well. So I have taken in n out off the list. Freebirds I still love! There is a place near me called The Healthy Habit. It is in Auburn, CA. It has become my new favorite place. Best salad I have ever had. They even have bacon that does not have added sugar. So great. When I eat out at other places, I look up a menu online. If I don't see anything that is clearly something I can eat, I end up just bringing my own meal.

Clayton + Melanie said...

I also love going to Whole Foods and eating in there cafeteria area. They have quite a few options for us

Unknown said...

What is the name of the almond Milk you get from Whole Foods???

Jenn said...

@ Mary Kate Lync, I buy Three Trees brand of almond milk at Whole Foods. So far it is the only brand that my local Whole Foods carries that is just almonds and water.

Unknown said...

Just an fyi. At Chiptole you can have the Carnitas which is made with sunflower oil also the fajita vegetables and Tomato salsa and guac are scd legal. Add lettuce and you have a meal.