Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Holidays

What a busy holiday it has been! Between Christmas and New Years, Clayton and I were able to enjoy some time off and relax. We spent Christmas with his side of the family and then spent New Years here at our house with a few friends. We enjoy simple fun :) In the mean time, I discovered the awesome drink, frozen hot chocolate. All the recipes I had found for it just weren't Paleo or SCD legal. So I decided to create my own version.


Instead of using hot chocolate mix, I used raw cocoa.
Instead of using sugar, I used honey.
Instead of using milk, I used coconut milk.
Instead of using whipped cream from a can, I used coconut whipped cream.
Instead of milk chocolate shavings, I used a raw dark chocolate bar.
The only thing that stayed the same was the ice :)


The amount of ingredients just depends on how many people you are making it for. I made for just one.

Frozen Hot Chocolate: Serving 1
I added:
1 spoon of raw cocoa powder
1 tbsp. of honey
1 cup of coconut milk
and then I added a little bit of vanilla extract for flavoring.
then add desired amount of ice.


Blend in your blender. Serve with Coconut Whipped Cream on top and then use a vegetable peeler to shave off slivers from the dark chocolate bar.


To add variety, make peppermint frozen hot chocolate by adding peppermint extract. Or any other flavors :)


I have had many people ask me recently how to make coconut whipped cream so here is the recipe! Click on the links to see (or buy) the brands that I use :)



Coconut Whipped Cream: makes about 1 cup or so of cream
1 can of Coconut Milk
honey


After chilling the can of coconut milk in the fridge over night, open the can and scoop all the heavy cream that rose to the top. Scoop it into a mixing bowl. It should be thick, not watery. If it is really watery, try a second can. (All the milk that is left at the bottom, I save and use for later in smoothies. No need to throw it out)


Using a hand mixer, mix in your desired amount of honey and vanilla. Blend well. I like to taste test mine a long the way to get the best flavor, adding a little more honey if needed. After mixing, cover it and then leave in the refrigerator to keep chilled. The cold will allow the cream to stay fluffy and more firm. ENJOY!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this recipe, Melanie. It was so good with the fruit!

Clayton + Melanie said...

Oh no problem! Thanks so much for checking out my blog and leaving a comment :)