Monday, August 12, 2013

Blueberry Coconut Waffles (SCD- grain free, dairy free)

I had been craving me some waffles and knowing that I had some fresh berries left in my fridge, Blueberry waffles sounded divine! I don't make waffles and pancakes very often. I try not to use my almond flour and coconut flour and eggs all the time. SCD baking requires a lot of eggs and I don't have my chicken coop built yet so eggs are so expensive for me to keep buying all the time. Every once in a while though I choose to bake something or make waffles/pancakes for breakfast.

Lucky me, I found a recipe for waffles that only required 2 eggs! I felt really good about sacrificing only 2 eggs to fulfill my waffle craving haha

I found the recipe from the PaleOMG blog. That is also a very awesome site to find recipes. She is paleo, not SCD, so not all of her recipes are SCD compliant; but, I do find a lot of great recipes that I can use.

http://paleomg.com/almond-flour-coconut-waffles/

I modified her recipe a bit.

For one, I added blueberries. Add as much or little as you want. I think I added in about 1/3 cup or so.. Like I have said before, I don't measure really. Just eye ball it ha

Secondly, I used 1 cup of canned coconut milk. I have canned coconut milk in my fridge ready to use wether I am using it for whipped cream, or for smoothies. SO to get rid of the cream that rises to the top, I just shook the can a bit before opening it. I originally added 1/4 cup of the coconut milk (like the recipe said) to the batter but it was way too thick. I continued to add 1/4 cup until I was happy with the consistency. It came to a total of 1 cup.

Thirdly, I added 1/2 to 1 tablespoon more of honey. Felt like I needed to add more sweetener since I added more coconut milk.

Also, I went with the coconut flour option because arrowroot is not SCD legal.

This recipe made 3 full waffles in my waffle machine. They turned out delicious!!! I didn't even add honey (syrup) on top of them but feel free to do so.



No comments: